***Rockwall County has been known for more than seventy years as the “Marriage Capital of Texas”. The actual Rockwall County marriage certificates continue to be sought after due to their elegance, heritage, and history.***
Requirements for Getting a Marriage License
- A man and a woman applying must both be present
- Show proper identification - Driver's License or Identification Card
- Know social security number
- Know city and county in which you were born
*Please note, our office does the last Marriage License at 4pm*
Who is Eligible
Applicants should be 18 years of age or older with valid identification. Information on applicants under 18 years of age can be obtained by calling our office (972) 204-6300.
The fee is $72.00. A portion of this fee ($60) will be waived after attending a state approved 8-hour premarital training class. Information on this class can be found at: Twogether in Texas
There is a 72-hour waiting period from the time the license is issued and the time it becomes effective. The license is valid for 30 days after issuance.
Exceptions to the Waiting Period
Pursuant to Texas Family Code Section 2.204, 72-hour waiting period; exceptions, the marriage ceremony may not take place during a 72-hour period immediately following the issuance of the marriage license except when:
- An applicant is a member of the armed forces of the United States and on active duty with military identification.
- A judge waives the 72-hour period for good cause.
- The couple completes a premarital education course described by Section 2.013, and provides to the county clerk a premarital education course completion certificate indicating completion of the premarital education course not more than one year before the date the marriage license application is filed with the clerk.
Get information about verification of marriage and divorce records from the Texas Department of State Health Services.
For more information and phone numbers, visit Twogether in Texas.