Precinct Two

Justice of the Peace Judge Cathy Penn

We will be open to the public by appointment only.  Please call (972)204-6730

Information related to cases filed with our court can be found by using the tabs below or the sidebar.

Payments may be made by credit / debit card (2.35% service charge applies), money order, cashier's check, cash (exact change preferred), or personal check (in state account only)
  1. Tickets/ Class C Misdemeanors
  2. Small Claims/ Debt Claims
  3. Evictions/ Repair & Remedy
  4. Forms

Dismissal of Tickets

Tickets for an expired driver's license, or license plate may be considered for dismissal. You must get the problem remedied, pay any additional fees as required by Texas Transportation Code 502.045(d) and present proof of this to the Court not later than the 20th working day or before the defendant’s first court appearance date, whichever is later. The Judge will then consider dismissal of the ticket with a $20 fee.

Other offenses may be eligible for dismissal through completion of a Driver Safety Class or by meeting court ordered terms for Deferred Disposition. Proof of valid Texas driver's license and insurance must be presented to the Court when applying for a Driver Safety Class.

Plea Options

Learn about the plea choices available for traffic offenses.
Plea Options

About Class C Misdemeanors

In addition to Class C traffic offenses, the Justice of the Peace Court also handles a variety of criminal Class C misdemeanors. Some of the more common offenses include:
  • Disorderly Conduct
  • Assault
  • Public Intoxication
  • Minor in Possession of Alcoholic Beverage and/or Tobacco
  • Shoplifting
In cases involving alcohol violations, an alcohol awareness course is usually required. 

Your Options as the Accused

A defendant accused of one of these crimes has the absolute right to plead Not Guilty and request a trial by Judge or Jury. That choice is yours. You are not required to have an attorney in court, but you may hire one if you wish. The District Attorney of Rockwall County will have an attorney present to prosecute the case against you. The Judge is prohibited, by law, from discussing your ticket with you unless you have plead guilty or no contest or the District Attorney is also present.

If you choose to go to court, you are responsible for bringing all papers, pictures, and exhibits with you to the court hearing. You may also contact the Court for information on how to subpoena witnesses.

You may also plead Guilty or Nolo Contendre (no contest) and pay the fine amount or you may pursue the Driver Safety Class or complete the application for Deferred Disposition. Defendants under 17 who receive citations are required to enter a plea in open court before the judge, with their parents.

Please call the office at (972) 204-6730 for fines. 

Pay Your Ticket Online

Payments may be made by credit / debit card (2.35% service charge applies), money order, cashier's check, cash (exact change preferred), or personal check (in state account only)


The matters discussed here are for informational purpose only. Nothing on this site should be construed as a legal advice. For legal advice, you should speak to an attorney.

 Legal Resources

 State Bar of Texas

(800) 204-2222

 Texas Young Lawyers Assoc.

(512) 427-1529

 Helping Hands - Rockwall

(972) 771-4357

 Texas Law Help

A Justice of the Peace has the authority to:
  • Issue warrants for search and arrest
  • Conduct preliminary hearings
  • Administer oaths
  • Serve as a coroner in counties where there is no provision for a medical examiner
  • Serve as a trial court judge for Class C misdemeanors
  • Serve as an administrative court judge for a variety of miscellaneous court procedures