Getting Your Library Card
A library account in good standing is always required to check out material or use the public computers. Stop at the check out desk to get a library card. Once you are a registered user, you may check out items with a Texas driver's license if desired, but you must use your library card to log in to the public computers or to download ebooks.
Guidelines For Obtaining a Library Card
When obtaining a library card, remember:
- Library cards will not be issued the last 15 minutes of the business day.
- Users must bring proof of identity (photo ID such as a Texas driver's license) and proof of current mailing address and current residence. There is no fee for Rockwall County residents or property owners to open a library account. There is a $50 per household annual fee for non-residents of Rockwall County to obtain a card. All library cards must be renewed annually, which requires presenting proof of current address.
- A Rockwall County Library card in good standing is required for all public computer use. Residents of other counties may purchase limited computer use only cards for an annual fee of $20 per individual. A one month computer use card is available for $5. These cards are for in-library computer use, not for checking out downloadable library materials.
- Children and teens under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian with a Rockwall County Library account in good standing to obtain a library card. Persons under 18 years of age need to have a parent or guardian sign to give permission for Internet access.
- Library users must supply a working telephone number at registration: preferably both a home/cell and a business number. The library must be notified of any change in contact information.
- The fee for a replacement library card is $3 and a photo ID is required.
- The TexShare card programs allows patrons of participating Texas libraries to visit other Texas libraries in the program and borrow items.
- TexShare cards will only be issued to patrons aged 18 or older.
- TexShare cards are valid for three months from the date of issue and can be renewed in person at the Rockwall County Library Circulation Desk.
- TexShare borrowing privileges will be revoked if there are overdue items, if unpaid library fines exceed $5.00 on the borrower’s account or if another library reports the loss of TexShare items.
- If you are using a TexShare card issued by the Rockwall County Library, contact the library you plan to visit ahead of time to make sure they are currently participating in TexShare lending and to ask about their lending procedures and limits.
- TexShare cardholders from another library may present the other library's TexShare card at our checkout desk during regular hours of operation along with a valid photo ID and proof of current address.
- Loan period for books: 3 weeks with one renewal permitted.
- TexShare borrowers from another library are limited to 3 circulating books to be checked out at one time from the Rockwall County Library.
- Current best-sellers, new books, reference books, magazines and non-print media are not available for TexShare lending. TexShare cards are not valid for library room use, public computer use, database access or ebook downloads at Rockwall County Library.
- Rockwall County patrons borrowing from other libraries are subject to each participating library's TexShare guidelines, including possible shorter loan periods and higher fees. Items from academic or special libraries are often surprisingly expensive. Be aware that the replacement cost of items lost on your TexShare account will be charged to you.