Assumed Names (DBAs)
Search for Assumed Names
The filing fee is $24.00 and .50 for each owner(s) name.
According to the 86th Legislative Session, Business and Commerce Code Sec. 71.103. PLACE OF FILING. (a) A corporation, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, limited liability company, registered series of a limited liability company, or foreign filing entity required to file a certificate under Section 71.101 shall file the certificate in the office of the secretary of state. and is no longer required to file in the offices of each County Clerk where the business is to be conducted (HB 3609 - 86th Legislation). However, the County Clerk will continue to accept such filings on a voluntary basis.
Business and Commerce Code Sec. 71.051. A person must file a certificate under this subchapter if the person regularly conducts business or renders a professional service in this state under an assumed name other than as a corporation, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, limited liability company, protected series or registered series of a limited liability company, or foreign filing entity.
Please use the following guidelines when applying for an Assumed Name in Rockwall County:
- The Texas Business & Commerce Code sections 71.201, 71.202 provide for civil and criminal penalties for noncompliance with the assumed name provisions of Chapter 71. Unincorporated Assumed Names may be filed in the Rockwall County Clerk’s Office at 1111 E. Yellowjacket Ln. Suite 100., Rockwall, Texas 75087.
- Your Assumed Name must be filed with the County Clerk unless you are required to file with the Secretary of State. For more information on state requirements please visit the https://www.sos.state.tx.us/corp/generalfaqs.shtml
- If filing by mail, your application must be notarized.
- Assumed Name Certificates are valid for 10 years from date of issue.
- Assumed Name Certificates may have more than one registrant.
- There is no age requirement for filing an Assumed Name.
- When a limited partnership (LP) that has registered as a limited liability limited partnership (LLLP) uses an assumed name in Texas, the partnership must file two assumed name certificates with the secretary of state. The LP must file a certificate, and a second certificate must be filed for the LLLP registration. The partnership must also file assumed name certificates at the County level. Tex. Bus. & Com. Code §§ 71.101, § 71.103(b)-(c).
- A business may transact business under an assumed name by filing an assumed name certificate in compliance with chapter 71 of the Texas Business & Commerce Code. If the LLC or any protected series of the LLC conducts business under a name other than the name of the LLC, the LLC must file an assumed name certificate for the name of the LLC and each protected series. If any registered series conducts business under a name other than the name stated in its certificate of registered series, the registered series must file an assumed name certificate for that name. A registered series is not required to file an assumed name certificate under the name of the series as stated in its certificate of registered series.
- If you mail your application and pay by check, you must include a legible copy of your valid government issued photo ID with your notarized application. All checks should be paid to the Rockwall County Clerk.
Jennifer FoggCounty Clerk
County ClerkPhysical Address
1111 E Yellowjacket Lane
Rockwall, TX 75087
1111 E Yellowjacket Lane Suite 100 Rockwall TX 75087
Phone: : (972) 204-6300Fax: : (972) 204-6309
Monday - Friday
8 AM - 5 PM
WE REQUEST THAT ALL FINAL TRANSACTIONS BE COMPLETED BY 4:00 P.M.Most GPS and internet maps are wrong on our location. We are 0.3 miles east of Goliad/SH 205.